Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The site

I've spent the last week or so preparing the site for construction. I met with the property owner and we decided on a spot in his back yard and then I got to work clearing away some overgrowth. This is what the yard looked like before I started.
My house is going to be in the back left corner. Under the plants on either side of the yard there is a chain link fence. The plan is to replace that with a privacy fence during my construction. My house is going to take the place of the fence in the far corner.

The first step in getting the site ready was to cut down the growth on the fence. There were trees hanging over the fence and ivy, both poison and regular, growing through it. I cut all that away and dug up the roots. and here is what it looks like cleared out. You may also notice a sidewalk runing through the middle of the back yard. That is situated exactly where I would like to put one of my walls so I went to work busting up the walk way. Breaking concrete is surprisingly easy, assuming of course that you use the right tool, which by the way, is a sledge hammer. I started off with a pick axe and it did little more then shoot sparks and tiny rocks at my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment