Monday, June 15, 2009

stuck

I was hoping to begin physical construction this week, but I am still stuck on some important details of the process. The foundation is a big issue right now. I have read about a variety of foundation styles and methods, but I do not feel confident about the foundation, support, and roof relationship.

I want to have a living roof. This means that there will be dirt and plants on the roof of my house, and it also means that the roof will be very very heavy. I fear that if the foundation and support for the roof are not done correctly, the roof will collapse.

I had assumed that I would just be able to read about how to build this house and then just build it and deal with the problems as they arise, but I am realizing that there are some aspects of this project that are going to require the input of an experienced builder. Trial and error does not seem like a safe way to build a roof.

At the moment, I have contacted a member of my school faculty with house building experience, and I am awaiting his response. I am hoping that he will look kindly on this project and help. If not, I will need to seek out other experts and find reliable consultation.

No comments:

Post a Comment