Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A door and some window info

I bought a door at the re-store yesterday. I gave some misinformation earlier in the blog. I said that the re-store was run by the salvation army, but what I actually meant was the the re-store is run by Habitat for Humanity. There is a direct link between demolition work they do and the stock at the re-store.

I'm very happy with the door I bought. It is nice and solid, 36"x80" and only $42. I was at home depot this morning taking a look at the door jambs to better understand them, and the smallest most basic exterior door was about $180.

Here is my door in the back of the truck.
I also looked at windows while I was at the re-store, but there were only a handful of complete windows. I did not fully understand how windows are installed so I did a little bit of research. I found this website which explains window anatomy : http://www.arellanoswoodwindows.com/wst_page4.html. There I found this diagram:


It turns out that most of the pieces I saw at the re-store were stiles. The window pictured above is a double hung window. That is the most common type of window around here. It is composed of two stiles. The upper style is stationary and the lower one moves upwards.

For my house I would prefer to find some casement windows which swing open like doors on hinges. Casement windows are able to form a better seal then double hung windows and allow for less air flow when the window is closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment