Monday, July 13, 2009

Model

After a month and a half of doing things the dumbest way possible I think I am on the right track. I downloaded google sketch up, which it a great little 3-d modeling program, and put together a model of the house.
From this model I figured out that I will need 165 bales plus probably 5 bales worth of filler for places where there are small gaps. This number probably change a little depending on the actual windows and door I get. I used a standard door size and 3'x3' windows in the model. My plan is to get the door and windows from the salvation army's Re-store, which means they might be strange sizes it will depend on what is in stock. The re-store is a store for building supplies salvaged from demolition projects and left overs from building projects. It is a great place for buying doors, windows, sinks, counter tops, house paint, blinds, and light fixtures. They also have some lumber, but it is not really priced so you have to haggle to get a good deal. The cashiers usually just kind of guess at the price and it tends to be higher then buying new lumber and you are getting some roughed up wood.

At the moment I have ordered the wood for the frame and everything else is waiting to happen. My plan in order is as follows:

- write up procedure for roof frame construction
- Buy the door and windows
- call the farmer to check on exact dimensions of bales (I am about 90% sure that I have those correct)
- adjust the 3-D model for accuracy
- Order the bales
- model the roof covering
- order wood for roof covering, water proofing materials, ect.
- write procedure for roof covering/water proofing
- Model the foundation for bales (i need to do a little problem solving with the type of foundation)
- Make bale foundation
-dig and pour post foundations
- Make templates for cuts needed in lumber
- buy lumber hardware
- procure materials for plaster mix cover bales
-write up procedure for plastering
- procure materials for adobe floor
- write up procedure of adobe floor

I think if I do all of these things in the four weeks it is going to take the wood to dry I will be able to move very quickly once I have the wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment